Check out this interview with Saudis most famous executioner. This might be hard for some of you to watch. It was disturbing, not because it showed an execution, but because the guy was so removed from his job: killing people. He said at one point when answering a question, "Yes, I've beheaded many friends over the years." Some pal he is.
http://www.memritv.org/Search.asp?ACT=S9&P1=1322#
(click this link then the sheik picture to start the interview)
http://www.memritv.org/Search.asp?ACT=S9&P1=1322#
(click this link then the sheik picture to start the interview)
More memorable (paraphrased) quotes from this guy:
"My son is soon to be the head executioner in Rihyad."
"Usually there are no problems when conducting an execution, so long as the accused stands straight."
"No, it is not hard to do several at one time. I do not need a break in between."
WARNING: THIS VIDEO CONTAINS DISTURBING THEMES.
PS. I feel it is necessary to keep in mind that this is one tiny facet of the Saudi culture. It is easy to react quickly, condemning an entire culture because of one video interview.
PS. I feel it is necessary to keep in mind that this is one tiny facet of the Saudi culture. It is easy to react quickly, condemning an entire culture because of one video interview.

No comments:
Post a Comment