Monday, September 10, 2007

Insane in the Membrane, Insane as a Hussein...

.dlrow orazzib ni gnivil enigami !lizarb eivom eht kniht .dlrow orazzib a ni uoy tup nac aibara iduas ni enod sgniht teg ot gniyrt

Do you understand what it all means? Here is a math probability: X goes two steps forwards, then reaches vertical line T. Behind T, lines F, U, and KRS are formed. How does X get past it?

Well, there are some variations to the solution. X could speak Arabic to all lines, inserting anecdotal accounts and clean humor. But then, there still might be that obscure line wall waiting in the distant. Another possibility would be to enlist "wasta" influence by having a fellow X variable accompany X.

Is this too confusing? I apologize. I'm simply trying to illustrate how Reina and I feel when trying to overcome barriers with Saudi bureaucracy. Reina scrambled her atoms trying to exchange money at a bank. The bank would not take her U.S. dollars because they had stains on them. Similarly, I scrambled my atoms attempting to get an expired ID card renewed. I went outside of the compound to get the ID, but they wanted my passport for verification -Of course, the passport is not in my hands because it is with my, god knows where, visa paperwork. So I drive back through the security checkpoint and they won't let me in because my ID is expired. Talk about absurdity!

Some of the men you deal with in these offices really dislike us whiteys. It is exponentially worse for women. They really make an effort to be rude, aggressive and arrogant. If you don't speak the language, you get more of it.

It confounds a Westerner. Can it really be that the worst customer service experience in the States, is the best customer service in this country?

Stay tuned for more...

No comments: