I talked with a coworker and he mentioned I should go into the barber shop here for the "full treatment." Here is an account of what happened:
...I walk in, sit in the chair and watch the Pakistani news station while he chops away at my hair. Making quick work, he then shaves my neck and face with a straight edge razor. (I still can't help to think that at least once every so often they think, I can kill this guy right now with one slice if I wanted to.) After the scraping, dicing and trimming are done, he takes out a device that looks like a overhead fluorescent lamp/giant lighter. He points the side with the hole facing me and clicks a switch: steaming mist erupts and chokes me -I felt like a roadie at a rock concert who stood too close to the smoke machine. Next, he lathers my face with various applications and removes each ointment with hot towels, repeating numerous times.
This is where it gets bizarre. He starts pulling out these futuristic motors with hand straps and turns them on. They are mini massagers that go over the palms of his hands. He puts his hands over my head, then arms, shoulders and back. I start to get a bit worried at this point hoping he keeps away from my legs and thighs. Most of all, I felt strange sitting there in the barber chair while people walked by and looked in the glass windows! Lastly, he finishes by removing the contraptions from his hands and gives a neck and scalp massage.
How much did it cost? 25 bucks with tip. How did
I feel? Slightly violated, but dapper.
A footnote: Reina did the pedicure at the spa and found it to be similar to the states, except it only cost 4 bucks and the Asian workers were not as friendly.
Monday, October 1, 2007
Barber Shop Treatment
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What an interesting experience. I wonder what kinds of services are available for the ladies of the compound? It seems so singularly one sided. Has Reina found any perqs of her own yet? Long black robes, lack of driving priveledges, and inability to travel unaccomponied don't add up to much. What is the upside? Just wondering?
DB
Post a Comment