In the States, skating is a misunderstood sport. Kids are hassled by cops for riding on the streets or in parking lots. Old people tend to frown on the sport seeing it as a seditious activity. Even the Saudi security around here see it as a danger.
Lately, I've been riding my skateboard to work for exercise. When I was leaving school yesterday, a few Saudis were loitering at the entrance and I whizzed right by them. I felt a strange vibe emanating from them as I rolled into the street. Shortly after, a security guard pulls up and says, "No skateboarding...it dangerous for kids to see."
Hum. Dangerous? OK. What about the Saudis who drive on this compound? What about the Saudi kids riding around on bikes?
I bit my tongue and walked home.
This morning I asked our school security guards what the policy was on skating. One guard told me to tell the guy to essentially piss off. He said I should ignore him and get his name. Ah, the joys of Saudi's endless moments of absurdity.
Check out the vintage skate vid below.
Sunday, October 28, 2007
Skate No More?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment