Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Root Canal

The state-of-the-art dental facility is impressive here; however, the way they handle pain management is somewhat undesirable. After my root canal surgery, the doctor said ibuprofen should alleviate any pain. I argued a bit and went on my way with my 600mg ibuprofen. And again, for the 2nd night in a row, I was miserable.

First thing in the morning, I went in to request a stronger pain reliever. He looked at me incredulously and said, "Hum? This is usually sufficient." I retorted back, "This is my third root canal, and in the states the doc usually gives you Vicodin." He was a young, Saudi doctor that seemed like his training took place in the States. "Are those types of pain killers illegal in this country? I asked. "No."

...So out the door and to the pharmacy I went with my new prescription. I took one, two, three pills and was still in pain. Reading the ingredients, I did an online search only to find that what he gave me contained mostly acetaminophen (Tylenol) and only 10mg of codeine phosphate -Vicodon contains 90mg.

Third trip back to the dentist, I firmly pleaded for something stronger. A colleague told me to ask for Sopadol (?). He explained that he went through the same thing I did 6 months ago.

With a little hesitation, the doctor finally conceded by giving me the industrial strength candy. "I usually try not kill a mosquito with a cannon," He argued. "Well, I don't mind -Fire away, doc."

That night, I slept like a cucumber in the fridge.

No comments: